Monday, August 17, 2009

A Town Hall, A Spider Bite & Health Care Reform

I attended Senator Corker's town hall meeting today. Media worthy? Not so much . . A lot of the same old, same old. Don't get me wrong I am a supporter of Senator Corker's and do believe that he has common sense, morals and integrity but at the end of the day he is still a politician. Did I learn anything new? No. Did I see angry people wanting their voices heard? Absolutely. Did I get bit by a spider? Yes.

No this isn't one of my wordy metaphors, I really did get bit by a spider in the town hall meeting. That's the story I am sticking with otherwise I would have to tell you how their was this scary, liberal reporter standing near me and she could have injected me with any number of things . . But that would just feed the liberal conspiracy machine so for the purposes of this blog we are going with the spider theory.

Luckily for me I am already allergic to everything known to man . . trees, grass, dogs, cats, manual labor . . you name it I am allergic to it and so I was medicated with my daily Sam's brand "Benadryl". No, I don't buy it because I am cheap or don't have insurance, in fact I have the exact same insurance as Senator Corker. Do we pay the same premiums? I am going to go with no as we are a small business of under 50 employees . . he works for the nation's largest employer . . You do the math . .

But the fact is that I am very considerate with the benefits I have. They are quite expensive, believe me I write the check every month, but I stop to think before I whip out the old insurance card for something like a spider bite. Because every time I use that card I risk my premiums and those of all of our employees rising, we risk being able to pay less of their premiums or allocating more funds to insurance premiums and less to creating jobs. I am not sure Senator Corker and his colleagues have that same concern but it is one that many small business owners and self insured individuals face.

When we talk reform I hope that government will remain out of the way and allow private insurance carriers to allow small businesses and self-employed individuals to join together, under their own accord and without penalty, to create our own cafeteria plan for the life blood of this country, the small business. Perhaps with a plan such as this I will be able to write a smaller premium check each month and more paychecks. Perhaps with a plan like this a spider bite wouldn't be worth talking about . .

No comments:

Post a Comment